Ask your Question
If you are looking to keep your payment history out of your bank’s palms, you can use Bitcoin to pay for ProtonMail Premium accounts.
Payment with Bitcoin is presently only available for existing ProtonMail accounts due to the time it takes to confirm a Bitcoin transaction (up to twenty four hours). If you presently do not have a ProtonMail account, we recommend creating a free ProtonMail account at protonmail.com/signup. Once you have created your free account, you will be able to upgrade to your desired premium account using Bitcoin following the steps found below:
- Within the Dashboard tab within the Settings of your account, select your desired plan type. To learn more about the different plan types, please see this article.
Two) Once you have selected your desired plan type, you will be shown a payment module with the total amount due for your selected plan. In the upper right palm corner of this module, you will see a drop down under Payment method to pick inbetween: Credit Card, Bitcoin, and Paypal.
Three) After selecting Bitcoin, from the Payment methods, you will be shown a QR code, BTC Address, and the total Bitcoin due for your upgrade transaction.
If you are using a mobile Bitcoin wallet, you can scan the QR code displayed here to automatically process the payment.
If you do not have the QR scanning capability within your Bitcoin wallet, you can by hand submit the transaction using the provided BTC address. To do so, copy the BTC address into the recipient address of your wallet and select the amount of BTC displayed in the Payment module.
Four) After you have successfully sent the Bitcoin transaction, you will receive a confirmation message to your ProtonMail account, informing you once the transaction has been confirmed by the ProtonMail system. Since the system requires several confirmations for the payment to be verified it may take up to twelve hours until you receive your confirmation message in your ProtonMail account.
Five) Once the account transaction is verified, you will now have ProtonMail credit in your account. You can verify this by viewing the invoice added to your account under the Payments tab within the Settings of your account.
6) Now it is time to upgrade your account using your fresh ProtonMail credit! To do so, comeback back to the Dashboard within the Settings to select your previously selected plan.
7) After selecting your plan, you will see your credit automatically applied to the amount due. Select Submit to upgrade your account!
Love your ProtonMail Premium account!
Note: Bitcoin payments presently do not have the capability to turn on Autopay. In order to ensure you do not receive any account usage interruptions inbetween billing cycles, we recommend you make your Bitcoin payment at least twenty four hours before your bill is due. The credit you receive in your ProtonMail account when paying with Bitcoin never expires.
Alternative treatment (outdated)
ProtonMail accepts credit card, Paypal, and Bitcoin as forms of payment when upgrading to a premium account.
To upgrade your account with Bitcoin:
- Send your Bitcoin payment to our Blockchain address: https://blockchain.info/address/1Q1nhq1NbxPYAbw1BppwKbCqg58ZqMb9A8?filter=Two (Blockchain information can be confirmed on the ProtonMail Donate page).
- Once the transaction has successfully ended, please send an email to email@example.com, by providing:
- the ProtonMail account you want to upgrade
- providing the URL of the blockchain transaction
- the amount you donated in Euros or Dollars
- ProtonMail will add the value of the Blockchain transaction to your desired ProtonMail account as a credit. This credit can be applied to any transaction within ProtonMail. The credit is automatically applied when selecting your desired account upgrade.
You can calculate into the dashboard how much will your payment cost.